Sunday, November 20, 2011

I am pondering this. Why?

1. I've met a lot of motherss who do things lately, and I find that cool and inspiring. Obviously, when you have a child you need to be dedicated to them, but I think its important to still take time to focus on your own personal development and fulfillment. I also think if you don't seek fuflfillment as a person, it can negatively impact your relationship with your child and your spouse.
2. I am in a house where the husband generally helps out, but when it comes to dishes, that is the wife's domain - even if the husband has time and the wife is busy, the husband won't do them, because that's just not his job. While, despite my feminism, I would actually be fine with an arrangment where I took on most of the domestic duties, I don't think I could handle being in a relationship where - for either of us - some chore was just "not my job" to the point where even if one of us had time and the other didn't, the one with the free time wouldn't do it. My minimum household requirements from my partner are that he help out with the laundry, dishes, and taking out the garbage, and that when he has free time and I am doing the dishes, he keeps me company and talks to me, as opposed to being on Facebook or something (unless he had a rough day/needs some alone time, because I totally get that.) Of course, I guess that's easy to say now, because I'm not in a relationship, and I would be willing to compromise on these chore requirements for the right guy, but I also feel like the right guy for me probably would agree to those requirements.
3. I think it's really important to walk in with a smile and say, "Hello, my beautiful family/wonderful husband/wife", etc, and then walk over and give everyone huge hugs/kisses - even if one is in Niddah. This is usually how I greet my parents, and it is how I would like to one day greet my husband and children. I think it "sets the tone" for your interactions for the rest of the day. Of course, if you've had a bad day, it should be ok to talk about it, to express upset and to cry - if you can't do that, you're in a pretty bad relationship - but I think there should be an effort made to put on a smile and a hug for that first minute you walk through the door, even if five minutes later you're sitting on someone's lap sipping tea and crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment