Saturday, January 22, 2011

Alpha Phi Self-Challenge (FYI: Alpha Phi is a sorority.)

While surfing facebook at 3 am this morning, in a futile effort to distract myself from mounds of unfinished homework, fully aware that studying Ramban would have been a better form of procrastination, I stumbled across an event called "Alpha Phi Challenge".

I was very excited - could it be that a sorority was challenging women to become better human beings, to grow, to set high goals and work towards the attainment of those goals? With excitement and trepidation, I clicked on "See details". It was a weight-loss plan for how to get in shape for spring, because "everyone can use a little motivation". The disappointment was keen. As my inner feminist cried, I tried desperately to immerse myself in my schoolwork, so as to distract myself from this blatant desecration of my values, and the values of all people who are fighting against mass-media's pressure on women to be skinny.

But ultimately, women need not just better body images, but better self images. They need to realize that they deserve to be loved for who they are as human beings, not for the shape of their buttocks. (or breasts, or whatever body part you wish to choose - personally, I prefer thighs... notice how this makes women seem like chickens? Maybe there's a reason that French word for slut is "pullet", which means chicken... or maybe they were called pullets because they did the chicken dance to attract customers - I hear that when done properly it can be quite attractive.)

Anyhow, I shall stop now before I lose myself in a web of unhumorous jokes and vague literary allusions, but I wish you a beautiful day - or a beauty-filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment