Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Beauty of Shabbat: Friday Musings

There I was, sitting in my room, feeling like a shlub: My library-cleaning-my room day had turned into a wake-up-late-watch-TV day, and the multiple donuts I'd consumed in the past 24 hours had me feeling heavy and ashamed at my lack of self-control.

I did not feel like getting dressed up or facing the world. But I had to - shabbat was on the way, and I was going to Hillel. So I changed into a dress - and I figured, once changing into a dress, might as well put on jewelery - one putting on jewelery, might as well put on makeup...and now I feel happy - because I just spent the past 20 minutes taking care of myself and my body, and I am about to pray and take care of my soul.

Shabbat forces you to take time out of your week to take care of yourself - something its easy to forget to do when you're busy taking care of yoru schoolwork, your career, and your summer travel plans.

Let's all try to take better care of ourselves and each other this upcoming shabbat and upcoming week. Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment